LinkedLearners

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sweet Sunshine

The sun is shining here in Florida! I actually love winter in Florida, and the signs of summer coming are a little dreadful. This NJ-girl-gone-south teacher doesn't like the humidity and heat of Florida summers. So, for now, I am enjoying the small amount of Spring we have until that comes.

But to make this weekend a little sunnier, I received a message from Wendy at Read With Me ABC. I met her through a SLANT project! She very sweetly nominated me for the Sunshine Award.

 
It was more my Facebook posts on my personal account than my very quiet blog I never seem to get to! I am more than honored by her sweet comments. So, following through with the expectations here are my 11 random facts about me.
 
 
1. I have lived in New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Maine and Florida
 
2. I met my husband online and am head over heels in love after almost 15 years of marriage.
 
3. I prefer the mountains to the beach...I know, why do I live in Florida?
 
4. I have 7 grandchildren.
 
5. I love nuts...pistachios are my favorite. But I don't like pistachio icecream.
 
6. I love taking pictures on my camera, not so much on my phone...and wish I could be better.
 
7. My favorite meal is steak, pierogies and salad.
 
8. I have taught 1-5th grade...my favorite is looping 2nd to 3rd. I did that for about ten years.
 
9. I have a horrible singing voice and could never play an instrument very well, though I tried.
 
10. I do not have a favorite color.
 
11. A dream I have is to write a best selling novel.
 
 
My answers to Wendy's questions:
 
Why did you start blogging? I started blogging because I was moving to a new grade level. I had thought I wanted a journal of my experiences and new learning from the year. The year I started...I had one post. So much for my journal. This is my second year, and it is only slightly busier. Maybe one day I can find the time!

What's your favorite subject to teach? Literacy is my favorite to teach. I love teaching students how to read, how to think about their reading, how to write, how to read like a writer, and how to create. I love to teach all subjects, but I have a different comfort when it comes to literacy.

If you couldn't teach, what job would you have?  It is difficult to even imagine. I think I would be in some kind of counseling. Meaning, that would be my job, not as a customer!
I need a new book to read. What do you recommend?  The Bible is my first pick. My last novel I really enjoyed was Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
Where is your favorite place to shop for "Teacher Clothes"? I hate to shop. But I do get most of my clothes for school from Penney's.
I love animals. Do you have any pets? I have two cats in my home, and lots of strays I feed outdoors. I love animals too. When I retire I want to have a dog again. They need more time than I can give when working.
What is your favorite TV show? My favorite tv show right now would probably be The Voice. I have always loved American Idol, but The Voice has been capturing my attention.
I have a serious sweet tooth. What is your favorite sweet treat? I love some good ole' stand bys....icecream (Blue Bell), brownies with Walnuts or Toll House Chocolate chip cookies.
Which of your TpT products is your favorite? I have not kept up with my blog...creating products?? I have no idea how you ladies/men do it all. As you can see, I can't even make an attractive looking blog. I considered myself technology strong, until I started blogging and purchasing from TPT.
If you could travel to a sunny location, where would it be? Greece/Mediterranean... It is not the sun that attracts me though...I would rather be in a crispy chilly cold mountain cabin if we are talking about temperature!
Spread a little sunshine. Share a favorite quote.
My favorite quote is this:
"Love of reading and writing is not taught, it is created.
Love of reading and writing is not required, it is inspired.
Love of reading and writing is not demanded, it is exemplified.
Love of reading and writing, is not exacted, it is quickened.
Love of reading and writing is not solicited, it is activated."
-Russell Stauffer
 
 I nominate Jameson from Lessons with Coffee. She is such an inspiration. She created the SLANT project that I met Wendy in. She has many challenges, but takes the time to reach out to others and makes this world a sunnier place.
I also choose Laura Candler at Corkboard Connections. I remember when I first started looking for teaching materials online when I began teaching. She had the best, and still does. A resource I have used all my career. She has grown to be quite the resource for MANY teachers, and I know we all know and love her stuff.
I also love to laugh when I read teacher blogs...and this blog does just that, EVERY single time. Wendy pointed me in the direction of Kristin at Teeny Tiny Teacher. You want to visit this site for a little sunshine for sure.
The others I nominated are:First Grade Wow (what a treasure), Fluttering Through First (a must-visit site), Hip Hip Hooray (just the name tells you it is a celebration), Snippets by Sarah (her ideas always bring me sunshine), First Grade Glitter and Giggles (the name says it all), The Rungs of Reading (two other ladies I met through the SLANT project...such a resource and I love their story), Adventures in Literacy (this is a group of amazing teachers and I never leave here without some kind of sunshine) and last but not least is These Little Waves (she once taught in the classroom and now teaches us all through her gift of writing. All women will find some sunshine as you read the words of this talented woman. She might not be able to answer my 11 questions, but I HAD to include her in this.)
 
My questions for my nominees...
 
 
1. What do you love about teaching?
 
2. What is your favorite strategy you use in the classroom?
 
3. What advice would you give a new teacher?
 
4. What is one thing you would like to change in education, and why?
 
5. What can you not live without in your classroom?
 
6. What is your favorite children's book?
 
7. What is the best advice you were ever given? (doesn't have to relate to education)
 
8 What is your proudest moment in life?
 
9. What is your favorite restaurant and dish at that restaurant?
 
10. What is one thing you'd like to change/redecorate in your home?
 
11. What is one thing you learned this school year?
 
Thank you again Wendy for nominating me! I it is a pleasure to know I can make this world a better place with my words. I try to choose them carefully and I know their weight. May we all try to use our words to lift one another up and make the darkness and clouds of this world disappear with our sunshine!
 


 
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Maine to Florida is a huge difference. My dream is to vacation in the Mediterranean...maybe I'll see you there. ;) I'm a reality TV junkie, so the Voice and Idol are two shows on my list of favorites as well.
    Happy Sunday!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for nominating us! You're a ray of sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate chip cookies.....yummo!

    Thank you again for nominating us, Terry!!

    Colleen & Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the shout out!!! We have A LOT in common!!
    I love the Bible . . . I'm going to have to check out your other recommendation.
    And I think I would rather be in a cabin, too . . . although I leave for Jamaica on Monday so maybe I ought to rethink that . . .
    Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love and appreciate hearing from you!