LinkedLearners

Friday, March 6, 2015

Oh The Places We Can Go....

I had to jump on board and share about an amazing week I had with 9 other first grade classes....in 7 different states! We truly celebrated Read Across America......



The planning began at a #1stchat, the Sunday night twitter chat for first grade teachers. We decided to collaborate and do some a few things together for Dr. Seuss and Read Across America. One thing we wanted to achieve was Reader's Theater via a Google Hangout. One Wednesday that happened. Green Eggs and Ham in Florida, Iowa and Kansas!









I also collaborated with my own team of teachers at school. We gathered together for a Skype session with author Natasha Wing. She was awesome and engaging. 





 We had to have Seuss snacks every day this week of course! The Green Eggs and Ham were my favorite!




Seuss photos were a must!



The collaboration was amazing during the week. We took Read Across America to a whole new level. We tweeted our comments and pictures using #1stseuss. We kept a google document going, sharing ideas and making plans. We had a Seuss padlet where students could post their favorite Seuss book. But the biggest celebration happened today. 7 teachers from Illinois, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, and Michigan came together on Google Hangout. By sharing the screen we were all able to play a game of Kahoot together featuring Seuss characters. It was so much fun!




This is all new learning to me. This last summer I opened the doors to twitter, and it has taken me to places I never knew before. I am growing as an educator and I am able to connect my students to the world. I am collaborating with amazing educators and able to bring that back to colleagues in my building. Every door that opens has ten more to follow. 
Oh, the Places We Can Go.........

2 comments:

  1. Love, Love, Love all the technology you used this week! Excellent idea to take Read Across America to the next level! I wish I would've thought of that for my kinders and great idea to skype with an author! I'm still trying to figure out padlet and I made a Skype account, but have not used it yet. One of my friends now works at another school teaching 5th and we discussed having students skype as "reading buddies" If I have 6 iPads can 6 different people skype at once or only 1 per account? I haven't worked out the details. How is Google Hangout different from Sype?
    Casey @ CasedillaCrumbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I would have thought of it. The world of twitter has opened me up to so many new ideas. Are you on twitter? There are many authors out there on Skype, visit Skype's education page and you can find all sorts of experts to come in. We have had many, as well as Skyping with other classes. I have not attempted Skype on multiple devices. Google Hangout is like Skype, not much different at all.

      Delete

I would love and appreciate hearing from you!