LinkedLearners

Sunday, August 25, 2013

On A Roll...

We are really beginning to roll in first grade now. Most routines are running smoothly and they are stepping up to the high expectations. I am excited to see what this year will bring.

Our mornings are filled with many voices sitting around in their small groups and practing their scripts. On Friday they perform for the class. Those who really do a STAR kind of production go out and perform for the principal. I am pleased to say week one they all went! What a joy to see how they impacted her with their enthusiam and excitement for reading!

The read aloud I started with is The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I LOVE this book! I wasn't sure how that would go. They are totally engaged and in tune every day. I'm really reflecting on pushing for higher expectations and sure enough, they are stepping up.

In math, I kind of pushed the teacher edition and practice book more to the side. I use it for planning purposes and assessment, but we are doing more exploring, thinking and writing. Math instruction has improved a great deal!

How is your year beginning? What is going well and what are you tweeking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love and appreciate hearing from you!